SAN SECONDO IN ISOLA: THE HISTORY OF A MONASTERY TOLD IN FOOD AND ARCHITECTURE
A Benedictine monastery as early as the 11th century, it went on to house a Dominican order until it was dissolved in July of 1806. Under Napoleonic and Austrian dominion, it was pressed into service as a military outpost, and altered to take on an octagonal shape. Prior Domenico Codagli recorded in print the abundance of fruit and vegetables (1609), while we owe a daily record of the dishes served to the lay brother Fra Giacomo (1642-1645).
Organised by Michela Dal Borgo (Venice State Archive).